Friday, March 7, 2014

That time we went to 6 grocery stores to make dinner

Typically on Sunday nights we will plan out dinner for the week and go to the grocery store to get stuff for the week. I had found a recipe for shrimp coconut curry and was super excited to try it Monday night. I've made quite a few things from the website and they've all been delicious. We went to albertsons and got everything that we needed except for fish sauce. It wasn't a big deal, I could stop by a different store on my way home from work and pick it up. I had to go to Target on Monday anyway to pick up a few things and figured I'd just pick some up there-NOPE. No big deal, there was a World Market right next door so I could just run in there and get it. I was sure they would have it-after all it's called WORLD market and fish sauce is one of the most common Thai cooking ingredients. Again-NOPE. Now don't get me wrong-I know fish sauce isn't exactly a household staple, but as far as Asian ingredients go, it's a relatively common one that I have used before and Ross had atleast heard of it and I did not at all expect this many issues trying to find it. I decided to try Walmart where this conversation happened

And just incase you're in the market for some disgusting giant snail shells-walmart is your place! Who knew?!


Also, take note of two things from this conversation: 1- Ross is the best. Clearly I was very much over this cooking dinner thing, so he suggests I pick up Chinese food. Winner. 2- I was so desperate/stubborn that I was willing to buy fish sauce from AMAZON. We are now at a total of 4 grocery stores and I am not willing to admit defeat by this point. Ross looked around online and it looked like Trader Joes carried it, so it was perfect! He could pick it up on his way home on Tuesday, the curry was saved! Well fast forward to Tuesday when I get the dreaded text that Trader Joes had let us down-words I never thought I'd say. Fortunately there was a Central Market right around the corner who I called before sending my husband to another grocery store. And although I tried not to get too excited based on our past experiences, they said they carried it. I was half way home from work and hadn't heard from him yet when this happened

I never thought I'd be so excited about fish sauce. But I was. And the curry was delicious. And because it only took two teaspoons of the GIANT bottle, we shouldn't be having a repeat of the Fish Sauce Hunt of 2014 anytime soon. This is the recipe we used and I would absolutely recommend it, just make sure to place your amazon order for fish sauce ahead of time. 

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/thai-coconut-curry-shrimp.html?m=1


No comments:

Post a Comment