Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The stockings were hung...

The Saturday after Thanksgiving we headed out to First Monday at Canton with my mom and Ross's parents! If you have never been you HAVE to plan a trip. Its basically a giant craft fair ranging from flea market junk to beautiful high end furniture. They have everything you could possibly need-except for stockings that is. I had expected to have endless options-aisles and aisles of stockings. WRONG. There were maybe two different burlap stocking options. So I did what any sane person would do-bought a sewing machine (thanks for the early Christmas present, Mom!),


picked out some fabric and made my own!


Up until this point my motto had been, hot glue can do it all. Well. I was wrong. Sewing machines are awesome. Super easy to use-my mom gave me a quick tutorial and helped me finish the first one, and then I was good to go! 


Not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty darn excited with how these turned out. I plan on taking them to an embroidery place to get our names or initials put on them, and I still need to finish them with some red and gold tassel ribbon, but for now, I love them. And yes I made one for Cricket-how could I not when they make Christmas scottie dog fabric?! I love that they're modern but classic, I love that I can add more (in the very distant future), and I love that they were made by me. My mom made our stockings over 20 years ago and they're still the ones we use to this day and I love that I'm joining in on the tradition!



PS. I used this tutorial and pattern and would absolutely recommend it, it was super easy to follow, especially for a beginner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment